Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Caduceus: Staff of the Alchemist

Resource: Free Online Game
Creator: FableVision and the Childrens Hospital in Boston
URL:  http://kids.generationcures.org/play
Ages: 10+

In 2009, the American Library Association (ALA) named Generation Cures: Caduceus as an example of great interactive software for kids.  Noting that it was a free game that could be played online, I decided to check it out!  The ALA was right!  Caduceus is a great game!  It's not really a role playing game, but you do have to get into character.  A plague has killed thousands of your countrymen and you are a brilliant student determined to help find a cure.  Commissioned by the Children's Trust at the Children's Hospital in Boston, this puzzle-type game asks kids to think and encourages philanthropy.

Creating an account was easy.  The FableVision software laid down very specific ground rules.  They said I couldn't use my real name to login and, since they reserve the right to approve all user names, I figured I wouldn't be able to use my real name even if I tried.  I was also reminded about some rules of conduct.  No name calling, play fair, NEVER give my personal information, and so on.  I liked that FableVision was looking out for me.  To create my account, I needed an adult's email address.  Still, everything was spelled out nicely for any young user.

In addition to Caduceus, FableVision has many other products behind its name including: the Lure of Labyrinth game; and Animation-ish an animation program selected by the ALA in 2009 for its exemplification of great interactive software for kids.  They have created interactive websites for the likes of PBS, Jim Henson, and the National Academy of Sciences; and have animated many information videos for museums and hospitals.

No comments:

Post a Comment